Sunday, October 21, 2007

Chicago

Last week, most fourth year Architecture students took a trip to Chicago. Simply put, it was an amazing trip! The good times all started before we even left for Chicago! A group of us stayed at a friend's house before flying out in the morning and her dad cooked us dinner the night before and breakfast the morning before we headed to the airport - I can not explain how good the food and how great of a cook he really is in fear of not giving him enough praise. Yea, it was that good. Not to mention, we had breakfast when we arrived back home as well!
Anyways, on to Chicago. The city was very fun! We visited many sites with the class including a walking tour of early skyscrapers, IIT, Oak Park, Frank Lloyd Wright's home and studio, the Museum of Contemporary Art, and a Chicago Architecture Foundation River Cruise! I have to admit though, I was not a big fan of the museum we visited. I guess I am one of the people who just cannot appreciate "contemporary art." Everything else we visited was great!
Getting around the city was a little trickier to me than when we visited NYC. It took some adjusting to, especially from Clemson, and sometimes it was just easier to pile a bunch of people in a cab and just go! One thing I have to mention though: they do not call Chicago the "windy city" for nothing. It was windy. Very windy, actually. All the time. Needless to say, I was cold a lot along with many others. We also had a lot of free time - I think the trip was half for educational purposes and half to just let us have fun with architecture. All in all, it was a great trip and good to have a break away from the worries and stresses of school!

No comments: