Sunday, September 23, 2007

Interviewing Tips

My first article I read was "Is Hiding Your Wedding Band Necessary at a Job Interview?" I think this article caught my attention for obvious reasons; If I was married I do not believe this would have ever crossed my mind. The article discusses several topics, seeming to mainly focus on balancing kids and work. It first discusses that being who you truly are - engagement ring glistening, or single - should not be an issue while interviewing. I personally think - or would like to think - that interviewers would like to see the true you. Point made. The balancing kids topic, on the other hand, is debatable. Every set of parents is going to have their own view of what is best for their child. Basically, I think that says enough. There is no one single thing that is best for every kid, or parent for that matter.

The next article that caught my eye was "How To Impress Interviewers Below the Mason-Dixon Line." Being born and raised in the south - and not planning on moving north any time soon, this article naturally grabbed my attention. It basically went over what kind of characteristics southerners naturally carry and what southerners expect from others. It covered such topics as being a team player, showing good character, formality is desirable, a low-key approach is best (southerners are not aggressive), family values are top priority, and to slow down - everything in the south is done slow, from talking to making decisions. Being from the south, this all makes perfect sense. But to non-southerners, I believe this would be an excellent guideline to follow if seeking a job in the south!

No comments: